Saturday, October 8, 2011

There's Something About Fall

There's something about Fall...


It makes me want to bake apple desserts and light pumpkin scented candles.  I want to watch football games on television and have crockpot dinners.  I want to shop from the L.L. Bean catalogue, put whipped cream on my coffee and take a walk around the village until my cheeks get just the right shade of rosy.  Fall makes me swoon.  Fall is Mother Nature's goodnight story to us as we prepare for the long, dreary doldrums of Winter.  She lulls us with her crisp amber leaves, her soft breezes and mellow sunshine.  She wraps her loving arms around us and rocks us gently, and I am like a greedy baby trying to take it all in.  I love how the hot summers fade effortlessly into a russet-hued landscape.  


The other day, Dave and I took Ben for a long walk through the park and then we stopped at the Mayer Brother's Cider Mill for fresh cider and homemade donuts.  Yes, it was heavenly.  We lingered at the donut counter, eyeing which ones we wanted.  I took my time scanning the soup mixes and the canned jellies and jams.  I pretended I was a stay-at-home mom who had time to bake and cook on a weekday.  I let myself fantasize that I could freeze this moment in time, where Ben would be (almost) 5 months old and it could be Fall forever.  I know Winter will be here before I know it, and I will try my hardest to find the magic in snowflakes and lake-effect storms.  But right now it's Fall, baby, and I'm loving it.


As I write this, I am looking out of my front window watching two squirrels chase each other up a tree.  Leaves are starting to dapple the grass.  The golden sun is peeking through the trees.  Little birds are hopping from branch to branch, tweeting a perfect little tune as they do.  Neighbors are coming and going.  The air is fresh and the sidewalks are practically begging to be walked on.  It's a glorious day, and I've already lost count of my blessings.  


Ahh, there's something about Fall.



No comments:

Post a Comment